Mount Timpanogos Temple

Mount Timpanogos Temple

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Life serving the Lord in Progreso‏‏

[Today is a happy, happy day for this missionary mom!  Elder Conover finally got his Christmas package.  It was held up in customs in Honduras for over 2 months. His sweet mission president emailed that it was delivered to him today.  I've been crying with joy!  Merry Christmas to my precious son:)]   


Elder Conover and his new companion, Elder Flores from El Salvador


Elder Eric Conover
San Pedro Sula East Mission
12 Calle Av. Circunvalacion S.O.
Edif Yude Canahuati, 3 Nivel, Oficina 4
San Pedro Sula, Cortes, Honduras C.A



Dear mí marvillosa familia,

Oh I love you all so much! Mucho gracias por sus coreos (emails) cada lunes! They mean so much to me. You are all doing so great! It is a huge comfort and blessing for me. Thank you.

Things are going absolutely fantastic with my new companion Elder Flores here in Progreso! He is so great. We get along the best out of all my companions. He is very loving and works hard. We have gotten off to a great start. It's been great getting to know the members and investigators here. I have made some great friends. People are great here as in Sonaguera. 

Elder Flores and I live with 2 other companionships in a pretty sweet condo! Each companionship has their own apartment but we are right next to each other. We are also on the second floor. The view is beautiful. We also have a hammock out front on the patio. When the sun is out in the mornings it is absolutely paradise. Today in the morning I was reading Jesus the Christ in the hammock, there was a nice breeze and it was probably 70-75 degrees. I felt like I was in heaven. The shower doesn't always have water so we take bucket showers sometimes but it's been fine. 

Progreso!
Our proselyting area is beautiful. We are literally in the mountain. Everyday feels like I'm hiking in the mountains. Heavenly Father really did know where to call me on a mission. :) Friday and Saturday it rained more than it ever has while I've been on the mission. We put our books in plastic bags  and then in our packs and then went to work. We were soaked all day but it all is a great adventure. I love it! I have used quite the ¨fun¨ bathrooms here. Ours is great but it's hard to describe how poor some of the people are here. Another great part of the adventure!

Funny things: There was a man who lived in the U.S for 24 years, he came up to us as we were walking
in the street and started talking to me in English. It's always quite the surprise to hear someone start speaking in English. He was a little drunk and kept shaking my hand and telling me how much he admired us missionaries. He told us God will protect us and that we are so great. He was super friendly and even though he wasn't in the best condition he gave me a great boost. A few minutes later we walked past the pulperia (little store) he was in and he yelled to us ¨we got your back!¨ haha He was hilarious. We got directions to his house and may visit him soon. Another thing is some little kids as we walked past their house started yelling Adios Gringo!! There are always comical things here in the mission. I'm going to try and remember them better for you guys. :) 

Elder Flores and I have been going to town! Literally and figuratively. ;) We took a bus from the condo to the center or city part of Progreso today. It's only a 10 minute drive and costs about 35 cents. The missionaries here always go to the city on Pdays and eat lunch and buy groceries. We ate at Pizza Hut. It was super good. The last time I had Pizza hut was with Jonah and Mitch Armstrong. :) I have had to take some money out of my account because I ran out of money during all the crazy transfer things. Elder Guzman needed some of my money and Elder Flores borrowed some of my money. We will get our money from the mission next Monday. But yes Elder Flores has been working hard! We ended the week with great numbers and only had a few days together. We both know that working hard and being obedient are the keys to having the spirit and in turn having success. 

Thursday was the meeting with Elder Soares of the presidency of the quorum of 70. It was incredible. Such a powerful message of obedience, hard work, and dedication. He related the story of the Brother of Jared in a whole new and very creative way. Our missions are the rocks the brother of Jared brought to the Savior to touch. We must obey, and work hard and then the Savior will touch our rocks and we will literally shine! Our countenance will shine brighter and we will be happy. I know that his words are true and that he spoke for Heavenly Father. I know his words are applicable for all of us missionaries but as well as all people. One of my very favorite scriptures Mosiah 2:41 says to ¨remember the blessed and happy state of those who keep the commandments of God¨. I know that Jesus will touch each one of our ¨rocks¨ (our lives) if we come unto him, are obedient, and work hard. 

I have ran out of time! I wish I could respond to each of your emails but I hope my main email answered some of your questions. I love hearing from each one of you and you are doing so many great things. 

So my package is still here in San Pedro Sula?! Crazy! I will pray it gets to me soon! I can possibly send the art kit through the ruta (the mission mail system) to Elder Cruz if that's what you want to do but I'm sure he will be fine. I know it's crazy to send a package. 

Sonaguera district
I love you all and miss you so much but this is an experience I wouldn't trade for the World. Have a super great week! XOXOXO

Love Elder Conover









[I just realized I forgot to post our second letter last week.  We received it on Wednesday, January 22nd, but the pictures came this week.]

Hello dear family!
Last family night in Sonaguera
What a crazy couple of days it has been! On Monday Elder Cruz and I had a great FHE with Karla, Lester, Astrid, Nikol, and almost all of their family. Its been a goal forever, I'm sure before Elder Suazo and I to have a meeting with all of their family together. It was very special. Karla who was baptised a couple weeks before I got to Sonaguera and just recently returned from EFY conducted the meeting. Right when she began she burst into tears. We knew how much this meant to her to have her family all together. Karla chose to talk about Faith. We had a great discussion and read many great scriptures. Elder Cruz and I bore our testimonies at the end. After I arm wrestled Karlas Dad for the second time and beat him again. haha We are almost exactly even though. We ate some crackers with this mashed meat stuff on top for a refreshment. It was good. At this point I felt I was going to be changed but did not know for sure. I'm so glad I was able to participate in this great family night with some of my greatest friends my last night in Sonaguera. That night we also ate homeade pizza with President Campos, his family, and the other Elders at his Mom's house. Great last dinner. 

When we got back to the house we had a text on our phone of all those who were being changed. It's 
Colon Zone
quite the feeling right before you know. Elder Cruz read off the names and yep Elder Guzman and I were being transferred. I had so many mixed emotions and still do. Elder Monterosa called and told us that we also had a district meeting in Tocoa in the morning so I had to get all packed that night. That was a bummer because we were planning to go around and say good bye to everyone on Tuesday but we had to wake up and head straight to Tocoa. Luckily before, I felt that I was going to be transfered so I got emails and said good bye to almost everyone. It was sad to leave Sonaguera. It is such a beatiful place and I have made many great friendships. Tuesday Elder Guzman and I visited investigators with the Elders in Tocoa and then stayed the night with them. We had to get up at 1:00am this morning to take a bus to San Pedro Sula. We woke up and took a taxi to the bus station. We were supposed to meet 2 other elders there but turns out we got there two minutes late! We had to wait there until almost 3:30 to take another bus! I tried to sleep as we waited but it was hard, so I read my patriarchal blessing. On the bus I tried to sleep as good as I could. Elder Guzman and I didn't even know exactly where we needed to go. It was quite the adventure. Elder Guzman called one of the APs on the bus using a cell phone of a nice man and asked him exactly where we needed to go. I'm still confused about the whole thing but we finally made it to the huge bus transition place in San Pedro Sula at about 8:30. The transfer meeting started at 9:00. The bus we were ¨supposed¨ to take from there was not there so we ended up paying a taxi to take us all the way to the Chapel. We ended up talking a lot about the Church with the driver. God works in mysterious ways and I do not doubt we were meant to end up with this man at the time we did. We gave him a restoration pamphlet and a Book of Mormon. He said he would read the books and would like to visit the Church and listen. We made it late to the transfer meeting but I'm confident it was all part of God´s plan. 

The transfer meeting was very spiritual and fun. The Elders and Sisters who were about to be heading home shared some very powerful testimonies. One of the Elders sang a beautiful song solo with the piano. I felt the spirit strong. It's quite the feeling when they start announcing the changes. Each person stands up when their name is called and then moves to sit with their new companion and zone. ¨Elder Conover, of Sonaguera, Companion Mayor, in Progreso with Elder Flores!¨ My new companion is from El Salvador. He has been here in Honduras for 1 month. He is great! We are going to have a great time! I saw Paige Porter at the meeting! Along with Elder Christopherson and Elder Winkel who were both in my 
A friend from home!  Sister Paige Porter in yellow

district at the MTC. It was so great to see them all. Elder Winkel is actually in my zone now! It was so good to see Paige.  My companion and I took a mini bus to Progreso. It was about a 20 min drive but the bus was so packed with people! Standing and sitting. I had my suit jacket on for the first part and felt like I was in a sauna. There was a young adult who new good English who talked to me on the bus, he works on a cruise ship! We made it to Progresso and very first ate lunch at Wendys! Then we took another taxi to my new house! The house is a lot bigger, has a toaster, and a fridge that works good. I grew to love our little house in Sonaguera and in some ways I like it better but this house will be great. 

I feel great with my new companion! Our specific area is a little ways from the center of town which is a lot bigger than Sonaguera. Our area is a lot like Sonaguera with dirt roads and very poor people. There is a huge beautiful mountain that has houses going up a little ways. They are all in our area! I got all my things organized and unpacked and now we are writing in the house of the relief society president. She has a public internet room as part of the house. She is super nice and gave us some drink similar to hot chocolate with bread. Right now all I need is some sleep but I am very excited for my new area! My companion told me that there hasn't been a baptism here since August but they have one this Saturday. He said the other Elders before didn't work too hard so I think we can change those numbers. Oh and tomorrow we have a big meeting with the other San Pedro Sula mission and a quorum of the 70! I'm super happy about that because in my zone before they weren't going to go because its so far but now I get to go! Thank you all for your love and support. I love you all more than words can describe. How's the work of Salvation going back home? I will write again on Monday! Have a great week! Count your blessings. The temple back home really is so close to not be going at least once a week. Love the Challenge! I hope you like this long email Mom. Adiooooos!
Elder Austin Measles from the Scorpion soccer days! (ages 10-12)


Love Elder Conover

No comments:

Post a Comment